Short version of the famous Salkantay Trek, which is usually done in 5 days, for those who have a tight vacation schedule without missing out and who still want to explore the Peruvian hinterland!
Machu Picchu is a marvel that you will have deserved after having done this magnificent trek in the footsteps of the Incas. The Salkantai trek is an excellent alternative to the Inca Trail.
This expedition under the reign of Salkantay (6264 meters), sacred mountain located in the Cordillera of Vilcabamba, will take us back to the times of the Incas and will awaken to the spirits of the mountains such as Nevado Tucarhuay and Nevado Humantay which culminate to more than 5000 meters . We can admire snow-capped peaks and the tropical forest, the high-altitude vegetation called Puna and lush flora and fauna.
We will leave the city of Cusco at 5:30 by private transport to reach Marcoccasa (3400m), through the village of Mollepata (3000m) where we will take the ptit-dej (included). There, we will join the muleteers, then we will start hiking in a beautiful valley surrounded by impressive snow-capped mountains, like the Nevado Humantay (5217m) and the peak of Salkantay (6264m).
We will cross different valleys, and your guide will tell you the local rural life. At Soray Pampa, at our campsite (3900m), the cook will wait for you with hot drinks and small snacks, before preparing dinner. This first night is quite fresh at 3900 m altitude - we recommend good sleeping bags that you can rent at the agency.
On the way to Soray Pampa, we strongly recommend you to make a detour to the lake of Humantay to discover the magnificent sight on the lake and the snowy peak of Humantay (ascent from Soraypampa at 3900m to Humantay at 4220m). Hiking time 2 hours.
Time of transport: 3h30
Time of walking: 6 to 7 hours
Climate: mild during the day and cold during the night
Elevation : Cusco (3400 m) - Mollepata (2800 m) - Marcoccasa (3400 m) - Soray Pampa (3900 m)
Option : On the way to Soray Pampa, we strongly recommend you to make a detour to the lake of Humantay to discover the magnificent sight on the lake and the snowy peak of Humantay (ascent from Soraypampa at 3900m to Humantay at 4220m). Hiking time 2 hours.
After breakfast we head back to the Salkantay pass (4600m), which offers an exceptional view of the snowy peak of Salkantay (6264m). This morning will be the most challenging of the trek - and well worth it. A stop at the top will only be possible if the weather allows us. The hike will then continue downhill and we will leave the groundhogs to enter an ecosystem with lush vegetation. Arrived in Chaullay, we will settle in our camp and will take a snack before dinner. The night will be warmer than the previous one.
Time of walking: 9 hours
Climate : hot with mosquitos
Elevation : Soray Pampa (3900 m) - Salkantay pass (4600 m) - Chaullay (2950 m)
At dawn you will take the shuttle to Lumacbamba. We will start the day walking through the remains of the Inca Trail to reach the archaeological site of Llactapata (2650m), sanctuary of Inca culture and local flora, with an extraordinary view of the city of Machu Picchu and the canyon of Vilcanota if the weather allows us. You will be told everything about the Inca pilgrimage and the remains to be discovered in Llactapata. We will descend, along the river, then to arrive at the Hydroelectric Station (1950m), from where we will take the train until our stage of the day, the village of Aguas Calientes (2050m), located at the feet of the Machu Picchu.
Time of walking: 6 hours
Time of transport : 1h30
Climate : Hot with the presence of insects
Elevation : Chaullay (2950 m) - Lucmabamba (2000 m) - Llactapata (2600 m) - Hydroelectrica (1950 m) - Aguas Calientes (2005m)
We will leave our hotel after breakfast at 5:30, and we will go to Machu Picchu (2400m) by tourist bus. We will enter the Inca citadel around 6:00 am, so as to enjoy the sunrise on the site. After a guided tour of the archaeological area, including information about the life and customs of the Incas, we will have enough time to enjoy Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu (2750m) (optional). We will leave Aguas Calientes by train. While waiting for the train, you will have the time to have lunch in one of the restaurants of the city. In addition, you can enjoy the hot springs in Aguas Calientes to relax before your departure.
Time of visiting : 2h
Time of transport : 4h (Aguas Calientes - Cusco ) and 30 minutes (Bus Machu Picchu)
Elevation : Aguas Calientes (2005 m) - Machu Picchu (2400 m) - Cusco (3400 m)
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO BRING
HOTEL & RESTAURANT
During the high season (May to August), we are subject to restrictions set by the Ministry of Culture, which provides us with passes for Mach Picchu, so the trek departure dates could be changed to one or two days past, we will then adapt the program so that you can make the most of it.
(1) Huayna Picchu mountain tour or Machu Picchu: To climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu, this requires a good time in advance. We take care of the booking and guarantee your entrance to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu. With, of course, an additional charge of $ 70.00 in addition to the entrance to Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail, according to the regulation of the Ministry of Culture (this new law came into force on July 18, 2011).
(2) Additional carrier : According to the law (26702) of the Ministry of Employment, the collaboration of an additional bearer will be granted at the request of the customer. However, the customer's luggage must not exceed 12 kilograms. The service costs USD 140 and includes transportation, entrance to the Inca Trail, food and camping equipment.
(3) Gratuities : For guides (and possible porters) are always welcome.
(4) Student card : To qualify for the $ 20.00 student discount, you must have a valid ISIC student card when booking - not just when you arrive in Cusco! The validity must correspond to the whole year in progress. When booking, we will need a copy of your card. The Ministry of Culture is strict when regulating student cards.
(5) CANCELLATION : For any last minute cancellation, the expenses already made by the agency will be at your expense. (See the terms and conditions)