Contact us Book Now
The Choquequirao is considered the “Sacred Sister” of Machu Picchu. The only way to reach this citadel is a superb 5-day trek, passing along the deep canyon of Apurimac, in the midst of snow-capped mountains and humid forests with rich flora and fauna.
We will leave Cusco at 5.30am and take the road towards the village of Cachora, where we will arrive after 4h30 of road. On site we will meet the team of cooks and muleteers, as well as their animals, who will accompany us throughout this trek. After loading the mules that will carry all our equipment, we will begin our walk towards the Col de Capuliyoc (2800m). Throughout the day, we will observe the evolution of the landscape and vegetation from the depths of the Apurimac Canyon below to the snowy peaks of the mountains that dominate us. We will descend inside the Apurimac Canyon to the site of Chiquisca (1930m), where we will camp.
Time of transport : 4h30
Time of walking : 7 hours
Climate : hot
Elevation : Cusco (3400 m) – Cachora (2850 m) – Chuiquisca (1830 m)
After a full breakfast, we will descend to the Playa Rosalina (1550m) – which is located on the banks of the river, right in the middle of the canyon. En route we can make stops to meet the locals, and discover the sugarcane grown in the region. We will go up to Marampata (2850m) where we hang our lunch. From here we will enjoy a superb view of the archaeological complex of Choquequirao (3033m), where we will head. Arriving at the site of Choquequirao, you will have a first visit and we can enjoy the sunset, maybe we will even have the chance to watch the theft of condors. Our camp is located 20 minutes from the Inca city.
Time of walking : 7 hours
Climate : hot and cold
Elevation : Chuiquisca (1830 m) – Playa Rosalina (1550 m) – Marampata (2850 m) – Choquequirao (3030 m)
We will spend all day on the archaeological site of Choquequirao, to make the most of the beauty and magical atmosphere of this exceptional place. Currently, only 30% of the “Cradle of Gold” is discovered and can be visited. You will be entitled to a private visit with our guide, who will explain the life of the Incas, their customs, their traditions, and their daily life in this exceptional city. We will be able to admire the magnificent sunset on the Apurimac canyon and rest before the march of the following days.
Elevation : Choquequirao (3030 m)
After breakfast we will leave Choquequirao to continue our trek. We will descend the Canyon of Apurimac, in its deepest part, called San Ignacio (1500m). Along the way you will be treated to breathtaking views. In San Ignacio, we will have lunch, then we will go up to our camp which is in the beautiful gardens of Carmen (2000m) – a paradisiacal garden with its exceptional flora. You will discover the local plantations of this small valley, like all the different varieties of corn and potatoes existing in Peru!
Time of walking : 6 hours
Climate : moderate with mosquitos
Elevation : Choquequirao (3030 m) – San Ignacio (1500 m) – Carmen (2000 m)
The Carmen Gardens are close to the Tambobamba Manor (2500m), a region that was ruled by landowners during the 19th and 20th centuries and is considered one of the most fertile valleys for growing maize and varieties of potatoes. We will pass small typical villages, such as Pacobamba and Huanipaca (3150m) where you will be able to observe the daily life of the locals. Then we will return to Cusco by bus. On the way, we can make a stop at the hot water baths of Cconoc. Expected arrival in Cusco around 18:00.
Time of walking : 4 hours
Climate : moderate to hot
Time of transport: 5 hours
Elevation: Carmen (2000 m) – Tambobamba Manor (2500 m) – Huanipaca (3100 m) – Cusco (3400 m)
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO BRING
HOTEL & RESTAURANT
During the high season (May to August), we are subject to restrictions set by the Ministry of Culture, which provides us with passes for Mach Picchu, so the trek departure dates could be changed to one or two days past, we will then adapt the program so that you can make the most of it.
(1) Huayna Picchu mountain tour or Machu Picchu: To climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu, this requires a good time in advance. We take care of the booking and guarantee your entrance to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu. With, of course, an additional charge of $ 70.00 in addition to the entrance to Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail, according to the regulation of the Ministry of Culture (this new law came into force on July 18, 2011).
(2) Additional carrier : According to the law (26702) of the Ministry of Employment, the collaboration of an additional bearer will be granted at the request of the customer. However, the customer’s luggage must not exceed 12 kilograms. The service costs USD 140 and includes transportation, entrance to the Inca Trail, food and camping equipment.
(3) Gratuities : For guides (and possible porters) are always welcome.
(4) Student card : To qualify for the $ 20.00 student discount, you must have a valid ISIC student card when booking – not just when you arrive in Cusco! The validity must correspond to the whole year in progress. When booking, we will need a copy of your card. The Ministry of Culture is strict when regulating student cards.
(5) CANCELLATION : For any last minute cancellation, the expenses already made by the agency will be at your expense. (See the terms and conditions)